At Batchelors we are committed to achieving our business objectives in a manner that recognises our responsibility to contribute to our community and environment. We follow this principle in every part of our business; from recycling to developing and encouraging career progression.
In addition, we encourage our employees to play an active role in charitable projects which prioritise vulnerable groups, education projects and community initiatives, as individuals and on behalf of the firm. Our employee driven initiatives enable everyone at Batchelors to use their individual strengths to the optimum and make a real contribution to our community.
Each year Batchelors appoints a ‘Charity of the Year’, which is the main focus of our fundraising activity and is chosen by our employees. This year we are supporting ‘Holding On Letting Go’, a Kent based charity that provides support to bereaved children and their families. Previous charities we have supported include:
- Children in Need
- Demelza House Children’s Hospice
- Fresh Visions
- Harris Hospice Care
- Jeans for Genes Day
- Little Sisters of the Poor
- Red Nose Day
- St Christopher’s Hospice
- TCHG Foundation
- Wear it Pink for breast cancer
- When You Wish Upon a Star
We value the opportunity to give something back to the communities in which we work. In addition to charitable giving, we actively encourage our employees to undertake pro bono initiatives and to help with a variety of community projects. Some of the activities Batchelors is involved with include:
- Recognition by St Christopher’s Hospice as their ‘Honorary Gold Business Partner 2017’, through our support with providing pro bono legal advice.
- Providing pro bono legal services through the Citizens Advice Bureau at their centres both in Bromley and Sydenham.
- Participating in the London Legal Walk, to raise money for the London Legal Support Trust to help provide legal help and assistance for people who would otherwise not have access to justice.
- Partners that are Board and Committee members of local Housing Associations and Registered Providers.
We are mindful of our surroundings and aim to minimise our impact on the environment wherever possible. We recognise that our operations have an effect on the local, regional and global environment. We aim to ensure that every aspect of our activities is conducted in accordance with sound environmental practices. We aim to achieve this by:
- Minimising the consumption of natural resources and energy, whilst consuming material goods in moderation
- Reducing the creation of waste by the adoption of improved operating practices and by the recycling of materials whenever practical
- Ensuring all waste and effluent is disposed of in a safe and responsible manner
- Investing in new products and processes that have an improved performance regarding their impact on the environment
- Complying with environmental legislation
We aim to foster among our staff, suppliers, clients and communities local to our operations an understanding of environmental issues in the context of our business. Our collective task is to ensure that we continually aim to improve the environmental impact of our local or global activities.
This policy has already been adopted in a number of areas and examples include:
- recycling of computers and their distribution to Computers for Africa
- recycled copy paper in use throughout the firm
- confidential shredding recycled
- toner cartridges recycled for charity
- automatic lighting installed during recent renovations to reduce energy consumption.
- new secure shredding and recycling collections for all paper
- new LED low energy lighting in our Bromley office
Click here for a printable version.