Being in business these days can be tough. Not only is there ever-increasing competition, but there is an ever-increasing amount of legislation to comply with and you need good advice when planning future strategy, too.
At Batchelors, we aim to try to take some of the strain, helping business owners and managers from corporate bodies to partnerships avoid problems and reach rapid resolutions of the ones they don't manage to avoid.
We can help you clarify and think through the issues that affect your business strategy, helping you avoid legal pitfalls, such as choosing the wrong business structure or exit route.
We can also help you make sure your terms of trade, employment contracts, and borrowing arrangements minimise the risk to both your business and you personally.
We can help you set your business up, advise on partnership/shareholder agreements and help you collect your debts once up and running.
Indeed, if there is something with a legal element, our expertise can be part of your business success...and when you come to retire, we can help make sure you get the outcome you were hoping for.
Our team combines property, commercial dispute resolution, employment and corporate lawyers and we want to be part of your team. The part that lets you get on with what you do best - managing your business - with confidence.
The range of clients serviced by the department varies in terms of its size and its geographical location. Our clients comprise private individuals, sole traders, partnerships, LLPs, limited companies, social landlords, and Public Limited Companies. Geographically our clients are predominantly located in London and the South East, however a number are based in Europe, the USA and the Far East.
One reason for the success of the department has been its focus on quality and responsive client service, a commitment to go that extra mile to achieve optimum results for its clients. The department prides itself in its accessibility and in its ease of use. Its emphasis is to use its width and depth of experience to pool its knowledge into providing clear, concise and commercial advice to its clients, with a keen eye on the cost/benefit ratio.
With years of experience in the commercial arena each of our lawyers understands the realities of business, so that whatever problem you are faced with, you will be assisted by an experienced team who will work closely with you guiding you through the often complex issues of dealing with commercial law.
Our aim is to build and develop a positive relationship with you to enable us to work together so that we can better understand your needs and expectations and assist you in achieving positive outcomes in the quickest and most efficient way possible. You can be assured of a service that is thorough, dedicated, cost effective and proactive.
Non-contentious Business Services:
Our aim is to offer a one stop shop for all the day to day needs of our business clients. Our company and commercial services include advising on:
- Acquisition and Disposal of businesses (both shares and assets)
- Corporate structures, LLPs, Partnerships
- Partnering contracts, joint venture, profit sharing, shareholder agreements
- Commercial Contracts, Tendering process and documentation, Procurement (including OJEU requirements under the Public Contracts Regulations) and Framework Agreements
- Board, constitutional and other governance related issues
- Advising on transfers of engagements, terms and conditions of trading
- Negotiating Management Agreements, Nomination Agreements and Co-operation Agreements with local authorities and other bodies
- Banking and finance security, loan agreements, personal or third party/parent company guarantees, bonds, charges, debentures, priority and subordination of debt, collateral warranties and undue influence
- Employment issues
Our recent work includes:
- Advising a National non-registered provider of Housing as to the outsourcing of its existing planned and responsive property maintenance to a Registered Provider under a Partnering Agreement and negotiation/amendment (particularly in relation to the use of sub-contractors and proposed limitations of liability) of the ACA form of Partnering Agreement and accompanying Term Brief.
- Acting for the sellers on a multi-million pound sale of their engineering business and premises in Fulham to a property investment company, including substantial negotiation due to the structure of the transaction as to deferred payment terms, warranties and a tax covenant. Also advising the clients post-completion as to a purported warranty claim.Acting for a substantial property investment portfolio group in relation to proposed Joint Venture and finance arrangements with other construction/investment parties relating to the redevelopment of land acquired from the Local Authority.
- Acting for an entrepreneurial client company in acquiring a restaurant business in Islington by way of an asset purchase, including issues relating to employees and TUPE, and in quantifying assumed and excluded liabilities.Being in business these days can be tough. Not only is there ever-increasing competition, but there is an ever-increasing amount of legislation to comply with and you need good advice when planning future strategy, too.